Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Batgirl

So my last post was all about the Black Bat.

 batgirl artWell, the reason I made that one my top priority is because I can mod it easily and use it as a Batgirl (Barbara Gordon style) as well.

There's not much that needs to be changed. See my previous post for more details.

In this post I will only be talking about the things that I didn't cover for Black Bat. Like the difference in boots, gloves, cowl, cape, and belt.

I guess that may look like a big list. Maybe it is. Oh well.


Either way I feel obligated to highlight this AMAZING cosplay. I'm basically hoping that if mine is a fraction as cool I will feel successful.

So let's start top to bottom again.
First up: the cowl


Now, here's the problem. Cowls are hard. Like, they seem really hard. And I haven't quite decided on actually doing a cowl. For what I want this for, I could probably get away with just a mask. Which for now, is actually what I'm going to do unless I get hit by some sort of inspiration and loads of money.

BUT for your sake, I have found some tutorials. First up is one made completely out of duct tape. Which might really be the only way I'll try it hahaha.



And here is the first part of a video series. Honestly I only saw part 3 so I'm
hoping that when I start over I'll have a better idea of what to do LOL


And this is a video tutorial for Captain America, but hey, the basics are the same, right?




I actually think it's the same guy doing both but whatever.

Let's talk a little about the wig.
I happen to have gotten lucky and swapped out a wig of mine for an Arda wig - the Buttercup in Dark Copper Red. This is a very natural red, which is what I like about it because there is a lot I can use it for. It has a part in the front which can be re-styled to give the appearance of bangs if you don't go with a cowl, and use a mask instead.
 buttercup
My original choice had been a Ferrari in Maroon. However this turned out to be MUCH more purple in person. If you are looking for a more vibrant red, they have a color reference page you can check out. They also have comparisons of the colors side by side. I would actually recommend buying samples of the colors 
The next stop is the cape!
As in the other post, I'm not that great at sewing. And although I could learn, my friend Rachel is like, the master of capes and cloaks and stuff. So if I don't have her apprentice me, I'll be having her make it haha.

The basic thing to understand about Batgirl's cape is that it two toned. It is only black on the top. The underneath part should be as close to the same color as the gloves and boots as possible.

Also keep in mind most artwork will have the edges of her cape jagged. Not ripped, but very sharp. But, a lot of artwork also has it with smooth edges.

There are a few other things to consider. I'm not well versed in my Batgirl outfits, but I have seen many versions where her cape is no longer than her butt. I feel like this coincides with how young she is hahaha but I don't know enough about her character or history to say for sure. You Batman fanboys feel free to jump in.

For my personal preference, I'm going with a mid-thigh length cape that has the sharp edges.

.
I already outlined how to do the bat symbol in my last post. I'll be using the same bodysuit with the same symbol on it for both.


Now let's check out the gloves.

Or not. Because I don't have a whole lot going for them yet. Mostly I have gathered information on how to make bracers and just regular gloves.

However, I haven't spent the time yet to figure out how to make the spikey parts. I'll work on that next.

Anyways, here is a homestuck glove tutorial that I think is really cool. Don't know that it would work too well with heavier, super hero gloves, but I'll have to try it out.

So the next step is the belt of course!


Ah the belt. So. Much. Easier. Than the Black Bat one hahaha.

Using this tutorial, I'm basically going to start scouting buying a belt with a changeable buckle. When I find it, I'll link it. For now at least I know what to do when i find it! Hah!

I'm doing Barbara Gordon's belt, however, so instead of all those pouches I just need to make some little line things to glue on. Fun times.


And the last bit of the costume: The Booooooots~~


 Boots
Now, again, in my other post I linked several boot tutorials.

Here's one more that I forgot to link. Just in case it's useful.

 The biggest thing about Batgirl's boots is the top design. She doesn't have just regular superhero shoes, she's got the cool bat design at the top.

Which makes them unique, fun, and probably harder to make hahahah.

Well here goes nothing!!!


No comments: