Thursday, October 23, 2008

Twilight Rant

So here I go.

Everyone has been talking about the Twilight series. Everyone. And I saw a trailer for it the other day:


Twilight Movie Trailer

Looks rad, right?

I thought so too. My husband, Brooklynn, totally had the audio book downloaded, intending on listening to it after something else he's reading. So I think to myself "Let's check it out."


Well I will admit, for one thing I already had a problem with this "super attractive seductive vampire" being played by the uni brow bearing character from the 4th Harry Potter movie.
Is that a boy or girl in the background? I can't tell. But in all honesty, the guy is sort of growing on me, and it's not like I won't give the movie a chance.

Well, what happens, you may ask, as I am reading the first book. I can tell you. Nothing. ABSOLUTELY nothing. And that's the problem.

- The entire time it feels like this 30 year old pretending to be a 15 year old (or however old the main character is) who just is unhappy, bored, and boring.
For one thing, there was nothing in this book that spoke to me, at all. If I were a teenager, and trust me I'm not that far past being one, I would feel completely deprived.

I'm not saying all teens throughout the world
have to have the Internet or have to have a cell phone but honestly, who doesn't? I've seen 12 year olds who interact more with the world than this chick. She hardly uses the computer, listens to one CD, and reads one book, the ENTIRE NOVEL.

OK...I understand having no social life. I really do. I understand being depressed. But Even when I do nothing with my friends, or had no friends for a long while, I watched T.V., or drew, or read more books, or wrote in my journal, or I did SOMETHING. I didn't do nothing. Which is what this girl did all the time.


- Not only that, but the people in the novel were not characters. They were names. Not one of them had a distinct personality except the one vampire that disliked the main character. That's it. Everyone else was polite as pie, or sort of antagonistic. They all seemed the same.


It wasn't until midway through the book that the main character felt like she started to become a real girl. She started joking with this boy she's in love with. She started laughing and talking like a real person does.

Before that it was just "Hello Edward." Who says hello anymore unless they're joking? No one I know. Not even my grandpa.


There's my rant. Sorry fan girls and boys but the thing was terrible boring. The girl was depressed for a stupid reason for the first half of the book, and the only action happened in the last few chapters, which I will admit were pretty cool.


I just didn't like it. So sue me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read it yet but have heard a lot of hype - when I read it I'll let you know what I think.